Friday, March 12, 2010

Thoughts on my final project

I was very interested in Lupton's article from this week, about how we are forming relationships with our technology. For my project, I want to look at how (and why) we are forming these relationships with our technology and becoming dependent on them. As humans we have a need for intimacy and relationships, and we are turning to our technical devices to fill this need. But what is this doing to our real life interactions and relationships? I feel that with so many advancements in technology, our virtual communities are overtaking our real communities. This effect is not a good one, in my opinion anyways. We are replacing face to face interactions with virtual connectivity. What will relationships look like in 100 years if things continue to progress? Will more relationships be long distance? Will we do everything from our home computers and not have as much of a need for other human interaction?

I guess that overall I am looking at how technology is everywhere and is continually growing, and this is having a big impact on our lives. It may be good in some aspects, but I feel it is not so good when it comes to relationships. I will include points from De Souza E Silva's article on hybrid spaces and the ubiquity of computers. I will also want to look at Lupton's article on how computers are being humanized.

Reading through this, I am kind of realizing I do not have a strong argument anywhere... I know what I'll be working on over spring break.

3 comments:

  1. I like your idea I would have taken it from the other side, but I like where your going. What you could do is kick the cripple kid and talk about the darker side of gaming and online groups where you would discuss how kids don't get outside enough or how because of online conversion its making us worse. It would also be good to mention the idea of a friendship and if online communities are just perverting the phrase.

    http://digra.org:8080/Plone/dl/db/05150.48442.pdf That's a Pdf Supporting Communities in Massively
    Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games
    by Game Design

    Basically going through the discussion 'through games' and seeing how it interacts with our communities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right in thinking you have no argument, and that's good to recognize!

    What you have here sounds like a recapitulation of what we have already read in class, not an argument of your own. Not that you can't get to one with this subject, but I don't see where you're close to one with what you have written here. If blog post #9 is rich with details, then I will have the opportunity to help you with my comments at that time.

    From the final project assignment sheet:
    * The specific rule of most importance is that you must make an original argument with your work. You must have a thesis that includes with it the “so what” or “who cares” aspect of your argument, and that “so what” or “who cares” part of the analysis must be clear throughout your essay.

    Your proposal should have included what you plan to do (including which general topics from the course that you are going to link together) — this means details and some depth — what you plan to argue (this could include the argument or the research question in advance of the argument, with an hypothesis of the argument you potentially foresee), and how you plan to support the argument (which theories do you see yourself using on either side of your argument, etc).

    All of those elements should be present in blog #9, yet with even more depth than I expected for blog #8, since you will have annotated sources and know how you will be using them in your argument.

    Seize one very specific thing, link it to something else, and argue for the validity of the observation you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could focus on why some people would rather have virtual relationships/encounters rather than RL relationships/encounters. Why this is happening more and more, and why you think this is becoming a problem? Just an idea for you :)

    ReplyDelete