Friday, February 26, 2010

Nerd Talk

In her article, OH NO! I’M A NERD!, Lori Kendall discusses the use of the MUD BlueSky and how the participants are very often white males and how they act in the cyber community. Kendall talks about men’s power. They tend to have power over technology as well as over women. While doing her research, Kendall noticed that most the participants worked with computers or have done so in the past. And a lot of the conversations these guys were having revolved around technology including new software and technological advice. Having this common interest helps them form bonds in their community. So why all the computer talk? Kendall refers to Turkle when saying that these men are obsessing over technology to compensate for their lack of power in the physical world. Maybe they could be the hero and save the damsel in distress from her computer crash… It’s a possibility.

In the space it is clear to see that the users are identifying themselves as nerds. It is not an onlooker calling them that in a negative way. These ‘nerds’ are accepting the way they are. They may not be the strongest and may never get the girls, but you see this play into their conversations. They joke around with each other. Asking on another if they ‘Spiked her’ when bringing up girls. Because everyone knows the answer will be no, the question is not seen as offensive. Kendall ends her article by discussing the ‘whiteness’ of the group. Even people of different ethnicities say they are white, just trapped in say a Chinese body. Claiming to be white online makes them seem like one of the norms and deters the harassment to someone else. And if a user does not define his or her race, it will be assumed that they are white based on the high number of white users.

When reading this article and thinking about what we typically think of as a nerd, my mind went straight to computers. Whenever I have a problem or question concerning my computer, the people I turn to are always guys. No question. I wouldn’t ask either of my best friends, who are girls, to come look at my computer. They may know what to do, yes. But I would not look to a girl first for answers to a computer problem. I just wouldn’t. Even in stores it’s the same way. I am in Best Buy quite often and I find that there are hardly ever any girls working the computer section. Instead, they are always at the check-out and customer service counters. Maybe this is because people feel more ensured of what they are buying by having a guy there explaining all the technological things.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps it's more of a stereotyping thing that guys are often seen as more knowledgeable about computers. I think it has to do with the fact that it started out that way, as the beginnings of the personal computer consisted of people like Bill Gates that are the stereotypical 'nerdy' guys. More and more women are getting into computers and although it is still a male-dominated area it is quickly changing. I think that as time goes by we will break this stereotype.

    As for nerds, I'm happy to call myself one. I think the days are gone where being a nerd is something to look down on. So many people nowadays are immersed in technology, and I would say many people today would have been considered a nerd 10 years ago. The stereotype of a nerd is also changing because of the spread of technology to everyone's lives, no longer does everyone wear pocket protectors and huge glasses and never talk to girls. We're all slowly becoming nerds whether we like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I have a couple of go-to-guys that I seek help from whenever there's a computer problem. I wish I didn't have to. My ex-husband does a lot of computer work and has done a lot of engineering. When he first started working for the "company" he would come home and share his day with me about all the "computer nerds" and "enginerds" he worked with, most of whom were white. I think it's easy to stereotype. We're used to it and honestly, I have to admit I've always carried the picture of the computer nerd as the dudes in Revenge of the Nerds. Things are changing tho and as the digital divide starts being bridged I think we'll see more diversity in the people who could call themselves nerds. I don't mean that to sound like a negative thing ("nerd"). I wish I was one....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Computers are detail oriented and of course techy and not emotional. If I have to say, women are more emotional and browsers. Men, get in get it and get out. In the VR worlds where most are equal starts, how can one be more nerdy than another? I guess it's how you portray yourself...and it comes from the physical and spillover to the virtual.

    ReplyDelete